Our friends at Labour Behind the Label are recruiting dedicated regional coordinators to work within their local communities to campaign for garment workers rights worldwide. We are looking for people living across the UK who are interested in this exciting opportunity to work with the leading garment workers rights organisation. Could it be you?
This voluntary position will entail delivering 7 events over an 8 month period, including workshops, fundraising events and campaign actions, focussing on raising awareness of the issues relating to garment workers rights worldwide. They will develop your knowledge of campaigns around sportswear production, gender inequality, living wage, the right to unionise, and factory safety issues. The target is for approximately 1 workshop or event per month, to engage your local community and community groups such as youth clubs, fair trade groups, scouts, women’s institutes, university groups, etc. There will also be a chance to write regular updates for our blog and to input on campaign initiatives.
What they’re looking for:
- Strong interest in human rights with some knowledge or interest in workers rights
- Experience of campaigning and/or education work
- Fundraising experience is desirable
- Confident communicator
- Organised and self-motivated
- Experience of leadership positions, either professionally or within clubs or societies
- Excellent project and time management skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Relatively flexible and able to run occasional events at weekends or in evenings
- Must have access to a computer and internet
What makes this a good opportunity for you:
- One-to-one support and guidance from industry experts
- In-depth training in how to deliver workshops and public speaking
- A greater understanding of the issues affecting garment workers worldwide
- CV-enhancing skills in campaigns, events, education and fundraising.
- Ongoing support from Labour Behind the Label and the chance to be part of a broad network of garment workers rights campaigners
- Reasonable travel expenses
- The chance to develop local networks in your area and work with a diverse range of groups
- Valuable opportunity to develop your communication skills and a practical approach to delivering engaging workshops
- A reference when applying for a job
- The chance to make a difference to Labour Behind the Label’s campaigns
Time commitment: Approximately 10 hours per month
Duration: 8 months (from September 2013 – April 2014)
Start date: September 2013. Must be available to attend training in London on Saturday and Sunday 14th – 15th September.
How to Apply: Send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday 25th July. In the covering letter please address why you want this role and what specific skills and experience you have that will make you good in this position.
Deadline: Thursday 25th July
Interviews: To take place the week of the 5th August, date TBC. Either in Bristol or over the phone.